Friday, March 26, 2010

Why the blog?

Someone asked me why I was bothering to write this blog, dredging up thoughts and feelings that might be best forgotten.

Good question! Here are some answers. Feel free to pick whichever makes most sense to you.

1. I find it cathartic to talk about things that bother me. If the subject is out there and I can talk it through, then the whole thing becomes manageable.

2. Talking about cancer is a bit of a conversation stopper. People who haven't had cancer would rather shy away from the subject. You can see them thinking: "Could have been me. Phew!" When we Baby Boomer ladies went through menopause, we all happily discussed this strange new development. Knowing that we weren't the only person sweating like a pig and incapable of remembering our children's names was a huge comfort. By writing about this new "friend" traveling with me, I hope I can make cancer less terrifying to all of you.

3. After listening to me tell what I'd been through, a friend told me she was so grateful that I was explaining it all to her, just in case she had to deal with it. I've been lucky to have a small cadre of friends who've already been through this. Now I'm spreading the word. Do not be afraid.

4. However awful having cancer might be, I think there are a gazillion things out there that are a heck of a lot worse. Like being eaten by a python in the Florida Everglades, for example. Or getting run over by the garbage truck.

5. Cancer is curable. It's just a disease. Let's talk about it. Let's find a cure!!

1 comment:

  1. Those people who called you "honey" during the MRI? They couldn't remember your name! And we thought only us menopausal types had bad memories! Thanks for writing and keeping us all abreast (sorry, I coulnd't resist) You are right. Talking about things does make them so much less scary. I haven't had cancer, but it's true with all the other issues I've experienced. Plus, you're a great writer. Maybe there's a book in this ordeal!

    ReplyDelete