Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The hair issue

March 12, 2010
For some reason, after the call with Dr Ward and the mention of chemo, all I could think of was shaving my head. I tried to analyze this thought process with my husband. "Humph. Thought process? You?!, he said in his usual kind and loving manner. Honestly. Men are such linear thinkers.

At this point, I didn't seem to have any control at all over what was coming my way. Chemo sounded grim, but two girlfriends had been through it and they'd both won gold medals in regattas last year, for chrissakes! Plus, I still hadn't met the oncologist so had no idea if I needed chemo. Maybe I didn't!!

Maybe someone would call me up and say, "Gosh, we are so sorry, can't believe this happened, but your results were mixed up in the path lab and it's someone else with the positive lymph nodes". Well, it does happen. They're forever getting bodies mixed up at the morgue on CSI, so the lab could have made a mistake in my case too!

But never mind all that. All I could think about was: Would I look good with a shaved head? I've been wanting to shave my head for years, but I was a generation off and never quite had the courage. But now!! Here was my golden opportunity to shave off the curls and see how it felt. Finally, something to get excited about!

I would have a head-shaving party!! What fun! I asked my children what they thought. The three girls decided they'd take turns learning to cut hair with me as a model, then buzz the rest off. My son .... well, he wasn't quite so keen...... tricky thing for boys, when their mom isn't 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment