Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Update on my phone

I know you're all dying to know whether my cell phone recovered from its bath with the salad, so here's a brief update.
The hairdryer, neglected under the sink since I shaved my head, sprang eagerly into action and blasted the phone with heat. Every now and then I tried to shake more water out of the keypad. As soon as the phone got too hot to hold, I'd let it sit, open, for a while before doing it again.
After the third or fourth blasting with the hairdryer, I put the battery back in and crossed my fingers and toes. Hooray!! The phone turned on! To be honest, my expectations were a big zero, so this was brilliant. Never mind that the screen had an odd line down the middle so you couldn't read anything -- it was working! I took the phone down to the pantry and tucked it into a box of brown Basmati rice for the night.
The next morning I brushed off the rice and turned it on. Amazingly, the screen was back to normal. I made a call. Yes! It worked! I set off on some errands and soon discovered that things were still not quite right. Water was beading up on the screen again. The phone vibrated. Incoming call, but why wasn't it ringing? I tried changing the setting. Nothing. Darn.... guess it only works on vibrate.
I figured if I could get the rest of the moisture out of the phone, maybe the sound would come back, so I left it on the dashboard to sweat it out. All that accomplished was to overheat the battery, so the whole thing kept shutting down. Keeping the phone warm seemed the best way to dry it out completely, so I kept it in my pocket for the rest of the day and this evening, exactly 24 hours after the bath, the phone rang!!
And that's the story of how I nursed my phone back to a full recovery. Guess it just wasn't my time for a new Droid!

1 comment:

  1. So funny to come across this yesterday on The Daily Fairfield...I referred to your post on my blog...
    http://lavidasuburbia.blogspot.com/2010/07/time-to-back-up-my-laptop.html

    ReplyDelete