Monday, June 14, 2010

Rowing my boat....

I am truly blessed to have an amazing number of friends. So many people have been unbelievably kind to me and my family over the past few months as I've traveled along my path with cancer, telephoning, emailing, dropping by to say hello and just being there for me. It's been just wonderful. I am quite convinced that the positive energy flowing my way is helping me keep focused on the task at hand -- beating the cancer and getting well.

One thing is funny, though. People who haven't seen me in a while are always slightly taken aback when they see me. "Fenella!! You look amazing!!! How are you feeling?" The first time someone greeted me this way, I was a bit puzzled. Not sure if I agreed with the "you look amazing" part, though it was very flattering, but the reaction certainly called for some serious brow creasing activity.

After tossing the problem back and forth in the old brain, I think I have it figured out. Cancer is a very scary label to stick on someone. Most of us, myself included prior to February of this year when I was diagnosed, tend to think of people with cancer as pale, gaunt, diseased -- your basic unhealthy person. Like someone with the flu, but ten times worse. I mean, if you have a life-threatening disease, which kills umpteen people every year all over the world, you're bound to look awful, right?

WRONG!! Most people with cancer look absolutely fine. You would never in a million years know there was anything wrong with them just by looking at them. Obviously, those who've lost their hair, like yours truly, stand out a bit from the crowd, but not all types of chemo lead to hair loss. AND not all cancers are treated with chemo. AND not all people with no hair have cancer. So chances are you see people in the supermarket, at a restaurant or on the train who have cancer and you would never know it.

What's more, people with cancer don't act particularly sick either. Sure, there are days when we're tired or feel a bit battered so we hide away for a while, but for the most part, life carries us along in its normal merry way.

Exercise is an important part of my life, so when I can, I get myself over to Maritime Rowing Club at the crack of dawn and get out on the river. I'm in the third seat back in the quad pictured up top, with my friends Pam, Susan and Peggy. We had a great row, coached by Olga on her launch. Rowing is a fantastic form of exercise. It uses all the muscles in your body, especially your legs which get really nice and toned! In fact, your whole body is whipped into shape -- and the fact of being out on the water doing repetitive movements sends you into a zen-like place, very similar to meditation. It is so very peaceful out there on the river.

Work! Who doesn't do some sort of work? Energized by my morning workout, I head home to walk the dog (more exercise) and then get down to business. I go to see clients, draw up plans for them, go into the city. Same old, same old. Cancer hasn't really changed much of anything, except that going to the doctor and having the darned chemo takes up time that I'd rather use for other things!

Fun stuff!! Getting into the garden is my therapy. Since my garden is still quite new, I've spent many hours cursing the Connecticut rocks that lie just where I want to plant something. I've dug and pickaxed all spring, planting fruit trees, blueberry bushes and even transplanting huge rose bushes from a friend's house. I've lugged bags of manure back from the store, turned my compost pile several times, built raised vegetable beds with my daughter, and planted all manner of crops. My husband and kids think I'm nuts working like a serf in the fields, but I love getting my hands into the soil -- and no-one has yet complained about all the delicious salad we eat from the garden every day. All of this while doing chemo. Plenty of energy until it runs out and then I head to the sofa.

So I guess what I'm trying to convey is that people with cancer are just like everyone else -- doing the best they can to get on with their lives, making the most of every day, smelling the roses and loving life.

1 comment:

  1. love you , love you. Getting on the river is the best therapy there is. When your sacred times are threatened and you think you will be hampered by this beast you are fighting -it's as though you just Have to get out there and get it done. It's all about maintaining-maintaining and preservation-not losing. Fluff

    ReplyDelete