Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Backtracking.....to the haircuts!

One of the givens of the type of chemo I'm getting is that after your second dose, BANG! the hair falls out. It's practically the first thing Dr. Z told me. Mary, who runs the Smilow Breast Cancer Center, said the same thing. So did Nikki, the lady who organizes a wig for you (if you want it, which I didn't...... I'm going commando!! WooHoo!!). It tells you on-line. Second treatment, good-bye hair.

So over the space of a month, I had my hair cut three times, by my daughters, none of whom have much experience in the tonsorial department. Francesca, daughter #3, got to go first, deftly wielding the scissors to give my overgrown mop its first trim. Hmm.....not sure about that central part, but well done, darling!

Dimity, one of my twins, who had just rolled out of bed, was up next and she angled and snipped her way to what turned out to be quite a decent haircut. In fact, I got a lot of compliments from people who had no idea that a total novice had been hacking away at my hair!

The reason I wanted it all cut off ahead of time was because I'd had the fear of god instilled in me by all the warnings of the Nuclear Hair Fallout. Much better to be proactive, I figured, and chop it all off. After all, it's one thing to choose to cut your hair and quite another to find in a pile on your pillow or clogging up the shower! I mean -- can you imagine?!

Emma, the other twin, finally got her turn a couple of weeks later, just before the second chemo, and she gave me an interesting spiky look that we all quite liked. One of the things about my hair, apart from the fact that it's totally unruly, is that is unbelievably thick. Also, the scissors seemed to be getting rather blunt, so poor old Emma had a tough time. But I think this looks pretty cool!

4 comments:

  1. You'd look terrific in any cut - besides, it is your beautiful smile that people see, not your thinning hair! Hang tough - Win

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Hope you're doing well..as you look like you're actually having fun which is hard for me to imagine:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Un bellissimo approccio alla chemioterapia!
    L'ultimo taglio di capelli ti stava proprio bene :)
    un abbraccio, agata

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cute bald head! And once again, I can tell Emity and Dimma apart!

    ReplyDelete